Thursday, August 19, 2010

Solitude


Solitude
2010

This is the first piece I created after returning from a trip to Hawaii.  Not having a completely finished art room to work in, and not fully wanting to come in out of the sun, I decided to work on something that I could do mostly by hand that could travel to wherever I wanted to sit at the time.  


The image came from boredom on the plane ride. My husband and I traveled with our friend Haley, and unfortunately (for Brent) Haley and I both have a tendency to get bored when sitting still.  Since needles and scissors are frowned upon when boarding a plane we turned to ink poisoning instead.  I drew this on Haley's arm and then again after she washed her hands... and then again a couple days later in the sand. 


The plan came easily.  I have stacks of Hawaiian fabric from two separate trips that I have been wanting to use.  I decided on this fabric to be the backing and use colors from this to be the color scheme.  All of the artwork was 'drawn' with pink threads and then accented with the actual color.

I love the end result.  In fact, Brent secretly hopes no one buys it.  I'm going to keep going with this theme, I love the backing fabrics and want to use more of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment