Lily's Posies began on an airline ticket in a bar, true story. My friend, Beth, asked for a wall hanging for her baby's nursery. She sent me a picture of a mobile she liked and asked that the wall hanging go from there. But, back to the bar.
In January, I got to take a trip with friends to Colorado. On our last day those of us who didn't ski (that's another entry for another time) got kicked out of the condo at check out time and decided to spend the day at a bar while the others skied. We had a great time (we always do) but as we sat there I doodle on the bar napkin... which lead to an actual sketch on a ticket from my purse. Once we got home I actually drew out the plans and selected the materials for Beth.
The work was coming along really nicely until I got to the green background. (Beth, stop reading at this point.) Originally I drew it to have a flower pattern repeated in the background with embroidery floss. I drew it in pencil and then started the embroidery. Unfortunately this looked too busy and I had to pull it all out, leaving the exposed pencil on fabric. I can't begin to tell you how fun it is to erase pencil from fabric.
Next I did a random stitching on the background, and hated that even more. This mistake was easier, only because I had to detach the entire image from the background and start over with a new piece of green.
I am happy to say after those issues things went smoothly. And I came up with a new way to start finishing the backs. I do really love the finished piece and can't wait to see the piece, and Lily, in Lily's nursery!