Monday, August 22, 2011

Jellies


This started as a project for fun over the winter. I was between pieces and decided to create something that made me think of summer. I grabbed assorted blue fabrics and started ripping them apart. To create movement in the water I used various sizes of machine stitching. The circles were attached with machine and hand stitches. Unfortunately, after attaching the circles I got distracted and stopped, not at all surprising.


In July I started going through a stack of UFOs (Un-Finished art Objects... and no, I didn't make that up) and felt motivated to finish this, perhaps because I was stung several times this summer. Or, I just liked the colors.






My mother taught me how to crochet while I was in high school, and to this day the extent of my ability seems to be the single chain stitch. (Mom, is that what it is called?) I know that she showed me other techniques, such as ways to double the stitch to make scares, blankets, etc.,  but I still seem to me best at making long strings, which do not provide warmth in the cold. They do, however, make great tentacles. I took half a bundle of yarn and started crocheting. Some were really tight to make small chains, some big. These were sewn to the background and then the jellyfish bodies were stuffed with batting and placed on top.







Beading and thread adds texture to the background and completes the piece.... months later!



No comments:

Post a Comment