Sunday, December 19, 2010

Tropical Thoughts on a Snowy Weekend

I like the beach. A Lot.


I like sand, sun, waves.  I like the warmth of the sun.  I like to sit on the beach for hours and hours.  


I am not, however,  a fan of cold weather.  I don't like to wear socks or bulky clothing.  Cold air makes me grouchy.  If it is going to be cold, I want it to snow, but only if I am watching it from inside.  




So, nothing made me happier than to get a commission for beachy scenes, especially during these snow days! I was asked to make a beach themed necklace for a woman in Mathews.  Only one necklace was needed, but I made a couple extras so she could pick which one she wanted.  Here is the process, and the results!



All of the bottle top pendants are started on fabric.  They are created with fusing and hand stitching techniques.  Sometimes I use other materials like pens, fabric paint or beads.  Once that is done they are covered with resin to seal and protect the fabric.  



The resin hardens and is glass-like.  From here they can be strung to be necklaces or wired for ornaments.


The beach scene with the birds was the final pick.  I have to say my favorite was the palm tree, but I love them all, of course. I think the next step will be wine glass charms... perhaps over Christmas break, or, maybe over a few more snow days!  

No comments:

Post a Comment